Many people agree that rare earth magnets are fun to play with and are useful in many different applications. For example, rare earth magnets serve valuable purposes in contemporary lifestyle, ranging from communication to toys where the minerals enhance the functionality of various applications. However, Neodymium metals should be handled with utmost care since they are associated with multiple risks. Cases of people being injured due to the improper use of Neodymium magnets exist. Here are a few safety tips when using rare earth Neodymium magnets at home.
Many toys are equipped with Neodymium magnets to enable users to attach the devices on playing surfaces. However useful in toys, the metals pose a health hazard, especially to children who might be tempted to detach and swallow the magnet. Many cases have been reported of young kids consuming the metal in the absence of parents or guardians. If more than one magnet is swallowed, the likelihood of the magnets attracting each other and inhibiting normal bodily functions is high. Moreover, the ingestion of a harmful metal is known to cause infections. When buying toys, you should consider purchasing playing kits that are fully covered. Parents and caregivers should monitor children while playing using Neodymium magnets to avoid situations where the kids find themselves in emergency rooms.
Magnets possess high attraction power, which means the metal might fly if a ferromagnetic material is present within a room, thereby causing damage. Notably, large magnets might cause bruises or bone fractures in worst-case scenarios when they collide with an individual due to high magnetic power. For example, getting a finger trapped between a magnet and a hard surface is sufficient to cause serious injury. In the case of Neodymium magnets, which are known to be brittle, the metal might break after contact with the chippings causing injuries, especially on delicate body parts such as the eyes.
Other than physical injuries and damages, magnetic metals are known to damage home appliances. Neodymium magnets have a strong magnetic field that can interfere with electronic gadgets, including TVs, laptops, digital media storage equipment and credit cards. Since the devices are costly, the losses involved are likely to be high. Therefore, homeowners are advised to exercise caution when utilising Neodymium magnets at home. As a foolproof measure, magnetic minerals should be stored in separate rooms to minimise potential damage to home appliances and injuries.